In Minnesota we are lucky to have an organization called GiveMN that supports year round giving to Minnesota’s non-profits and also pretty much started the Day of Giving trend. Here are the reasons I love, love, love them:
1. It makes MN’s awesome generosity and spirit of collaboration visible.
2. It makes me feel like together we can support all kinds of amazing work happening in this state.
3. It is a simple elegant tool that has made it possible for small organizations like Springboard for the Arts to accept online donations in an easy, user-friendly way all year long.
4. It has made it possible for the 200+ fantastic projects in Springboard’s Incubator program to have their own giving page and own their message, build their support base. You can check them out here
5. When people support those 200 fantastic projects all on the same day it amounts to this amazing collective action that makes me so optimistic about people’s desire to support independent artists. Last year they raised over $100,000 from over 1,000 people in one day!
6. I love seeing people get silly, get earnest, get creative about the causes they believe in.
7. Dana Nelson is going to swim with sharks and school principals.
8. The school pages! No more selling wrapping paper and weird frozen cookie dough!
9. At tax time all I have to do is get my giving report from my profile and it has all the info I need right there…also looking at all my giving in one place makes me feel good about MN all over again.
10. It’s a super fun day to eat lots of donuts and make weird videos and injure your finger from constantly refreshing your page!